Hello make-uppers! The pic above seems oh so serious (I guess I was in a bit of a serious mood today), but I just realized this picture is perfect to show a little bit of how awesome, not to mention how FUN, contouring can be!
Contouring can be used to slim down features or simply to add a little more drama and depth to your makeup look. I will gladly admit contouring makes me feel like a bit of a model for Italian Vogue or something. Here are some key points to remember when contouring:
- Always use a shade that is darker than your natural skin tone. Shades can rage depending on your skin tone. I tend to gravitate more towards brownish hues.
- Get a nice, dense contouring brush! Fluffy brushes will NOT help you here, unless you have an uber good grip on it. The #109 brush from M.A.C is perfect for this, but I have also found luck with my Sephora Collection Contouring Brush as well.
- Also, remember to “carve” when contouring. If you simply apply the color like a blush then that is exactly what you will get. This is totally fine for an all over bronzed look, but if you want the contouring to change the appearance of something i.e., the illusion of a higher cheekbone or slimmer nose, then you will have to go deeper with your brush.
- Have fun and WORK IT!
Now here is for the best part, THE PRODUCTS! Who doesn’t love the products? I always get a giddy feeling when I get to try something new in the lovely world of makeup. For this particular photo I used an apricot colored blush by NARS called Luster. This blush looks AMAZING on all skin tones might I add! Now for the contouring I used a bronzer I just started using called HOOLA by Benefit. The blush is a nice shade of brown and only has a slight hint of shimmer to it (just the way I like it!). Below I’ve listed perfect contouring shades for other skin tones. Check it out!
- Fair: Bora-Bora by Sephora Collection, Korress Bronzer in 01 or 02.These shades aren’t too strong and you can gradually build up the color if you want an extra uu-mph!
- Light-Medium: Hoola by Benefit, Laguna by NARS, Park Ave. Princess by Tarte, Refined Golden by M.A.C, Faux Tan by Bare Escentuals
- Medium: Laguna by Nars, Los Cabos by Sephora, Park Ave. Princess by Tarte
- Medium-Tan: Hotel Heiress by Tarte, Sephora Collection Bronzer in Aruba or Maui, Sephora Sun Disk, Carribean in a Compact- Sun Bunny by Too Faced
- Deep: Casino by NARS, Guerlain Terracota in numbers 05,07, or 08, Makeup Forever Sculpting Kit in 03 or 04.
I hope this tutorial has helped and inspired all of you! Remember ladies (and hopefully some make-upping gents), makeup is FUN! It is all about creating a look and owning it with all you’ve got! Happy make-upping everyone!